Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Bravery

See, I always come back. I have a lot stored up in my head at the moment, but I want to finish off my cliffhanger from before. To continue, we had two days at the parks, and decided to spend one day at Disneyland and one at California Adventure. Colin still isn’t up for a whole day and night of park hopping so this worked for us. I finally figured out the fast pass system, and we were rockin and rollin as soon as we hit the park. I recommend the Candy Cane Inn for anyone going. It’s within walking distance, cheap, clean and has enough free breakfast to get you going.
The weather wasn’t the best, we had quite a bit of rain, but that resulted in less lines and good squishy fun. And my mom landed in the hospital with Pneumonia right as we were leaving, so a chunk of my brain was not with the rest of me in the happiest place on earth. But we also got to spend an evening with Rob’s family who are in the LA area. It is always such a joy to see them. It was the first visit we made since both Rob’s grandma and cousin Pam had passed, and it was a sweet way to readjust to the new reality.
At the parks, Colin was ready to go on any and all rides. The boy has a bravery streak that I admire. I tend to think it comes more from Rob’s thrill-seeking gene but perhaps there is a bit contributed from me too. I reached a point somewhere in my life where I decided roller coasters weren’t for me and I refused to get on another one. But I’m in a phase where I feel like I have a new opportunity to challenge old notions and reset certain expectations for myself. At any rate, I’m willing to death grip, hiney cringe and scream with the best of them.
I had a few hindsight “irresponsible parent” flashes as I staggered off some of the rides. But seeing Rob’s face lit up like a little kid, and Colin scampering around hollering “That was so COOL!” put it into the right context. Here are some highlights (the list is not to bore you, but to remind me when I can no longer remember this magic adventure – you know, in a few months.).

Disneyland
  • Indiana Jones Adventure - not as adventury as I expected, but I loved how close it tied with the movies!)
  • Jungle Cruise – always a favorite
  • Tiki Room – so retro-rific
  • Great moments with Mr. Lincoln - now with an even more freakishly lifelike automaton
  • Disnayland Railroad – one of Rob’s favorites. No, I’m not joking. Choo choo!
  • Haunted Mansion – always amazed that I never remember it the same
  • Pirates of the Caribbean – I admit, after the fast rides the little waterfall isn’t as whooshy.
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – hands up!
  • Autopia - pouring rain edition – no lines!
  • Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters –I am not ashamed to admit I didn’t let Rob or Colin win.
  • Monorail – It gave us a dry ride for a few minutes.
  • Space Mountain – aaahhhh!
  • King Arthur Carrousel - classic
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds – Finally got to see the abominable snowman that I remember my siblings talking about.
  • Pinocchio’s Daring Journey – snoozer. Sorry nose-boy. It’s boring.
California Adventures
  • Turtle Talk with Crush – super cool dude
  • Monsters Inc - we love Sully!
  • Tower of Terror –Colin said, “my bottom lifted off my seat!” Rob said, “that was a little much even for me.” I said, “blaarrgghghhh ground. Blarggghhe Sonhuvabitch.”
  • California Screamin' – Yes. Yes we did scream. And went upside down. And survived.
  • Golden Zephyr – slow mo fun
  • Jumpin' Jellyfish - Colin loved this. I think after the Tower of Terror this was the speed he was looking for.
  • Silly Symphony Swings – who doesn’t love swings?
  • Mickey's Fun Wheel – Ferris wheels freak me out. I was having serious hiney cringe on this.
  • Grizzly River Run – We loved this ride! Got completely soaked.
  • Redwood Creek Challenge Trail - biggest challenge was that we lost Colin momentarily and I had unpleasant flashbacks to my youthful adventures in the land of the lost.
  • Soarin' Over California – we loved this one too.
  • Heimlich's Chew Chew Train – silly fun
  • It's Tough to Be a Bug A 3-D presentation – a highlight! I discovered I can see 3-D afterall. (was never able too with the red/blue glasses)
  • World of Color – a perfect way to end our magical weekend.

No comments: