Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Getting grounded.

I am not grounded. Normally, I have a nice, comfy connection with my environment. Home is stable, work is normal if a little boring and family is… endlessly entertaining. But lately I’ve been feeling like I’m hovering through my days, not really feeling connected to anything and not absorbing information that’s whizzing by.

In hindsight, I think I’ve been fooling myself that I skated through our rapid sell, buy, move cycle without the normal disturbance that bubbles up from such a big life change. In our efforts to get settled, it seems like our normal routines have gone by the wayside. I'm convinced Rob and Colin are moving things to screw with me. (Oh. My. God. That sounds like my dad. Nevermind the rest of this post, I'm screwed.) My normal hobbies are tucked away in the closet, bypassed for the “excitement” of organizing closets and hanging drapes and other fripperies around the house. And my head is elsewhere, in the clouds of career and choices and challenges and change.

Our “spring” weather isn’t helping. We’re stuck in an annoyingly oscillating weather pattern of snow/sun/rain/gray/rain/sun/hail/gray. I’ll just blame it all on wacky barometric pressure. Screw you wacky barometric pressure.

Getting my hands literally into the ground helped a bit. This weekend we got the Back 40 prepped for my veggie garden. Rob built me a lovely raised bed and we (by we I mean Rob except for my jiggly five minute turn at the mantis) tilled another plot with some lovely soil amendments.

Then the fun began. I planted a mess of starter plants purchased at our local nursery (Farmington Gardens, I recommend it) and transplanted two trays of seedlings that we had started when my mom was here. My goal for this year was to involve Colin in the cycle of seed to food so I bought some jiffy peat pots to start a variety of plants inside since it was still, you know, SNOWING two weeks ago. I think two.five is still a bit too young for the concept of NOT pulling the plants out of the ground, but he loved smooshing the seeds into the dirt.


The raised bed will house two varieties of pumpkins and corn. I wanted to plant popcorn but can’t find the seeds yet. Can you just plant Orville? The main section contains tomatoes (six varieties, hope you all like homemade sauce!), basil, garlic, celery, sugar and snap peas, pickling cucumbers, fennel, zucchini, Walla Walla onions, leeks, cilantro (Rob’s request), lettuce, carrots (orange and purple), bell peppers (one each red and green) beets and sunflowers. Whew.

I haven’t tried most of these, but thought it would be fun to see what happens.

No comments: