Friday, January 18, 2008

Aren't you...

Eleven years ago today...

I was a senior at CWU, tired of the dating scene and ready for a girls night out. My friend Shelley, her friend Jen and I revved up to hit the bars and ignore the boys.

I have a picture of Shel and I from that night. Dressed in our late nineties best including the de rigueur flannel plaid shirt on my part. We look so young, yet confident as we stand on the brink of the real world, with the air of freedom that comes naturally to college students who have yet to dip a toe into that often chilly pool of reality.

We hit the “scene” in Ellensburg and drank our way through the evening, ending up at the Mint. The Mint was known as the ah hem pick up bar since it had a groovy dance floor and cheap beers. Plus the door guy had a crush on me so we never had problems getting in.

Anyhew, I saw a friend I knew at the bar, and went up to say hi. As she turned away to another conversation, this tall, handsome guy stepped in and said his famous last words, “You’re Laura, aren’t you?” Other remembered phrases from that conversation include “put those away.” “what?” “those dimples, they’re too cute, put them away.” And “can I get your number?” “sure, don’t you want to write it down?” “No, I’ll remember.” (in my head) “Yea
right.” But call he did and the first date was set.


You must understand that at this point I had more fun dressing up in business suits with my fellow PR students and acting like we owned the campus since we were too cool and all
professional n' stuff. Turns out Rob had seen me speak at a student senate meeting and remembered me from around campus. In hindsight, knowing now how much research Rob usually undertakes before making a decision makes me wonder just how long we had been passing each other on campus. Even though he said I always ignored him (not so, probably just head in cloud syndrome) my gutsy lad took the chance that has led to our current connubial bliss.

We have been together from that day on, and interwove our lives ever more closely as we each earned approval from the other's family, graduated, took our first jobs and apartments, and then came marriage, our first home, moving up our career ladders and of course, the Bumble.

Rob is, quite simply, an incredible guy. Someone once told me he was a Jimmy Stewart type, and I can see that, even more so since he’s become a dad. He’s good hearted, patient, handy, rebellious enough to own not one but two speed machines, funny, creative, quietly confident and a darn good toddler rustler to boot.

I love Rob to the depths of my being, and hope that I tell him that often enough. I hope that I offer as much support as I am given. I hope that I provide as many opportunities to laugh as I am afforded. We’ve had so many journeys over the past 11 years, most fun, some not so much, but always together. And our together is a good place to be.

Happy Mint Anniversary Rob!

So young...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...11 years sure goes by quickly :). Reading your blog entry was definitely a blast from the past. Congrats on 11 years together & I'm happy I was there to bear witness :). Crack the whip!
Shelley

Anonymous said...

Who ever said he was accepted into
the family? Jury's still out.