Saturday, December 01, 2007

Tis the season

Rob is off to Seattle for the annual Bike Show pilgrimage and I’m at home with the bumble, stuck inside on a snow-ishly cold day, trying to ignore the background drama of a cabin fevered two-year old who wants! daddy! more than he wants anything to do with me. I have the Christmas boxes down ready to unpack, tonight after the house elf is safely tucked away in bed.

I’m listening to Josh Groban’s Noel and feeling the sentiments of the season rise in my heart and into my head, turning into new revelations of thankfulness and switching on comforting memories of season’s past.

Christmas is here.

It’s time to pop in the Alabama Christmas album and bawl my head off. There is nothing like an old-school country Christmas song (two, specifically) to turn one into a sobbing, snot dripping mess, especially fun in traffic where everyone can see.


Homecoming Christmas
A glowin' fire and fallin' snow, they spark a memory
Stockings hangin', mistletoe, presents beneath a tree
A happy boy wakin' up to toys, lookin' so surprised
And wondering how Santa knew just when I closed my eyes
It's a Homecoming Christmas, goin' back to where it all began
Homecoming Christmas, I wanna be there once again
Memories do sweet and strong and I've been done too long
It's Christmas time and I'm comin' home
I can see the Christmas tree and feel the warm fireplace
Handmade decorations, homemade pies and cakes
Family all together with so much love to share
A special time and I can't wait, can't wait to be there
It's a Homecoming Christmas, goin' back to where it all began
Homecoming Christmas, I wanna be there once again
Memories do sweet and strong and I've been done too long
It's Christmas time and I'm comin' home

Christmas Memories
There's a blanket of snow coverin' up the old road to the house where I was raised
Through the window I see the lights on the tree and a glow from the old fireplace
Though it all looks the same so much as changed from the way it used to be
Christmas memories of happy years gone by
They come back to me and keep me warm inside
Still those Christmas memories make me cry
Now the stockings are filled; the house is still and the kids are dreamin' away
There's that old easy chair, me and Daddy sat there waitin' for Santa's sleigh
Now Daddy's gone but we carry on 'cause the little ones will need...
Christmas memories of happy years gone by
They come back to me and keep me warm inside
Oh they mean so much to me
Those Christmas memories make me cry

No comments: