Sunday, December 02, 2007

Deck the halls with boughs of…urrk

Oh what a night. As expected, I tucked the boy into bed and had a good time decking our halls with boughs of various Christmas paraphernalia. Tucked myself in and drifted off.

About midnight I was wakened by Colin’s frantic crying, not the usual “I’ve lost my covers” cry, so I went in to find the poor guy lying in a puddle of yack. Colin has only had one stomach bug, so barfing isn’t very familiar to him – especially in the middle of sleep. He had the what the hell look on his face as I surveyed the damage. I did a quick change out of pillowcase, sheet and wiped down Frog as best I could (the gingerbread stuffy will need a little more help) and tucked him back in. Yes, Colin, I agree. It was “uck.”

An hour later – the cry came again. The damage was worse this time (did I mention we had beets for dinner? yep. beets.) so again came a sheet change, new jammies, and a wipe down. I have to say, Colin must be the kindest tyrannical toddler. As I was moving things around, leaning over the crib bars, he grabbed my head and said thank you mama, patting my arm. I tell ya, it sure took the sting out of the stinky mess we were in.

After that, the calls came about every half hour or so – less mess as the night grinded on, but still dispensing some TLC and tucking back in. And to add insult to injury, every time I made my way back to bed, Soss had moved in for the kill. Taking over my only warm spot in the bed. After the last call, about 4am, I was a little ruder about displacing the furball from my pillow and apparently he wasn’t too pleased.

Just as I was drifting off, I hear the distinctive erk. erk. erk. of a cat revving up for business next to my head as Soss decided to join the barfy fun. I got my hand under his mouth just in time to save my sheets, but not my dignity as I disposed of my handful of cat yack into the toilet and scrubbed the hell out of my hands. Feline revenge is sweet, eh?

After a few hours of sleep, Colin was up and ready to go for the day, apparently no worse the wear after the long night. Then the calls started. Rob’s parents are coming in to watch the boy while Donna is on vacation. The snow that didn’t happen here did happen in Washington. Bob may be delayed starting out from Ellensburg. So plan B is activated – we will pick Nancy up at the airport where she is flying in from LA. Okay. No problem. Next call. Rob is snowed in at our friend’s home in Snoqualmie (starts with sno, appropriate, eh?) and isn’t sure when he will be able to head home. Greeeaaat.


Anyone else? Are you sure? It’s not even noon yet so if someone has some yarf to sell, apparently I’m buying! Because really, at this point all I can do is say what the eff and laugh.

No comments: