Sooner or later any blog that features a toddler is going to turn to poop and pee. We’ve been dancing around the potty training issue for about six months. We started sticking Colin on the potty to get him used to it, to mixed results. He likes to have a seat, but the action is a little less than consistent. Although we can usually get some pee action before a bath (or right after, or during. Whatever.). He gets to put a sticker on his Potty Prize paper and we're all dokie dokie (okie dokie a la bumble).
Since we’re in a tag team approach with our daycare provider, we took a step back when she had a medical procedure that prevented her from doing a lot of heavy lifting for the last few months. And any lifting involving Colin is heavy. So now that she’s back to fighting form, she wanted us to step up the PT.
With a heavy sigh we agreed. It’s not that I’m not more than ready to get rid of the mess and expense of diapers. But watching my friend go through potty training (with her son, not her, I assume she's got the potty thing down) makes it seem like infinitely more work than a quick wipe and dipe change. And then there is the fact that Colin is still in a crib and can't get up by himself if he has to go at night or in the morning. (I know right? He’s three and in a crib. But whatev. He loves his nest and we love that he loves his nest.)
So this weekend we pulled out the pull-ups again. Tears. I WANT MY DIAPER!! He got used to them. We encouraged repeat visits to the can. Tears. I DON’T WANT TO GO!! He kind of got over this. And this bothered me, because I know you aren’t supposed to force them onto the potty, but we figured it was just Blockhead Syndrome coming out – Colin blocking anything that he didn’t suggest. Bringing out the big guns confirmed our suspicions. We pulled out M & Ms. Tears, sort of. I DON’T WANT…m em m? Choc-o-let? Okay!!
We also took a chance on a Potty Training DVD. I thought he’d hate it. After watching the mid-eighties production (in all its red and minty green toilets, jeans up to your boobs, mauve and powder blue wallpapered glory) filled with classics like “My potty” “Even moms and dads go poop and wee” “Getting that 'feeling' inside” “Sit on the potty and push, push push,” I wanted to want him to hate it. Nope. Kid LOVES it. “Where’s the Potty movie? Can we watch Potty movie again?!”
The good and bad thing about pull-ups are that the Bum still doesn’t really get to appreciate that Just Pissed in My Pants fresh feeling. We’ve heard that the “let them go naked and pee all over the place” method works well. But, um, have you met my husband? This wouldn’t really fly with him. And I admit, pee puddles aren’t my forte. I ignore the cat barf piles for as long as I can in the hopes that Rob will clean it up or the cat will have a snack. So imagine if there is a puddle I don't find.
What?! He's a cat. And it's not even digested.
Anyway, we will be trying the “let him wet himself silly method” this weekend to see how that works if he doesn't make a breakthrough this week. I bought some adorably cute Thomas the Train briefs and cotton training pants, so let’s hope that a little extra laundry is all that awaits me. And yes, I am deliberately avoiding the scenario where he does the doo in those cute cotton pants.
1 comment:
Good luck with this weekend...we're hit and miss on the potty training too. Now that they'll be 2 1/2 this month, we're starting to think a little more seriously about potty issues :)
Post a Comment