Sunday, February 03, 2008

A different kind of itch.

I joked earlier this year (you know, since it's all February and everything) that Rob and I made it to our seven year wedding anniversary without an itch. Turns out there is another 7-year anniversary and corresponding itch making itself known in our lives.

Almost seven years to the day when we moved into our first lil home in Bonanza Court, we are going to be putting out the For Sale sign.

Holy Crap.

It’s time. As much as we love our home, the fact is that we’ve updated nearly everything there is to update and we still want…more. More space, newer everything, less projects, nicer ‘hood. I feel disloyal and a little greedy, since we’ve had a great time here, and we certainly aren’t lacking anything. We just want…more. And it’s certainly a buyer’s market, enabling us to make a move up that we might not be able to otherwise. As a seller, well, our realtor gave us some positive news about what we could get for the house, and if we don’t, no biggie. We don’t move. But we need to try.

I feel like our little house is saying, “what did I do?” And I want to reassure the casa that it’s not you, it’s us. We’ve grown, we’ve matured, we’ve added a little monchichi who needs more space to roam, and we’ve acquired multiple motorcycles that are feeling a bit cramped in the garage.

Having grown up in the same house my whole life (heck, the house is still in the family, bigger and better than ever under Angela’s care), I’m not into moving for the sake of moving. Neither is Rob. We agree we want to make a move that will suit us for twenty years, giving us all room to spread out a bit in the years to come.

But I’m sad. And start to choke up when the memory reel starts playing. Our first home, our first mortgage, our first grown up furniture, our first home projects, bringing our baby home, welcoming guests and family from far and wide.

I’m also excited. New house! New projects! (you don’t really think I’m going to be able to give up my project addiction, do you?) New planning and organizing! New kitchen! Playroom for Colin! A guest room!

And I’m scared. How will we find as good of a situation? Giving up daycare two doors down? Losing my huge yard just as my garden is taking off? Can we really afford what we think we can afford? Our quiet court where my biggest problem is the neighbor parking his junky van in front of the house? Are we on crack?

But we’re hopeful. The good thing is that we aren’t in a position where we have to sell, which gives us a strong footing to stick to our guns and wait for the right buyer and the right new home to appear. Oh, and in case you are wondering about the farm, well, it's not in the cards (but, oh, those views...) since it needs more work that we really want to do, and we've kind of been there done that with updating.

So, send us your good home selling/buying vibes. I’ve got to go call PODS and start the process of packing. PACKING! AAACCKKK!

No comments: