Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Don't mess with the Feng

Over the past few years, I’ve become more comfortable in introducing Feng Shui into our home. For those that know what it is, you probably know why I’m into it. For those that think Feng Shui sounds like it belongs next to Chop Suey on a Chinese food menu, let me give you a little background.

In very basic terms, Feng Shui is the ancient eastern practice of arranging your home with intention in a way that maximizes positive energy (chi, rhymes with wheee!) and creates harmony in one’s environment.

Even more basic? Where you allow your crap to land has an impact on how you feel in your home and in life.

There are all kinds of rules and guidelines that use color, the elements (water, earth, metal and fire) and “cures” to help you and the universe see eye to eye on things important to you. Every part of your home corresponds with a different aspect of your life (prosperity, career, health, wisdom, reputation, relationships, family, helpful people/travel and creativity/children).

It can get overwhelming, so I feng where I can, shui when I can't. Sometimes I feel silly introducing feng shui elements in the house (recent conversation in our home: Laura? Yes Rob, dearest husband of my heart? Why is their a red string tied around my toilet? Um, because you’re flushing away our Chi. Really…? Yep. Huh.)

Othertimes I’m blown away by the effectiveness of it. Case in point – our bumble boy is the result of a specific request to the universe activated by a feng shui cure. Hey, you don’t have to believe, but wipe that look off your face.

Another recent example. Our house went on the market on February 12 (Happy Birthday Luke!). I added a cure to our “helpful people” area with a few specific requests and whamo, we had a full price offer in hand by the 17th.

Yep. Less than a week in a crappy market. And now we have less than a month to purchase and move into our new home. We’ve made an offer on a lovely Cooper Mountain home (even though mom hates it.), and hopefully we’ll have good news soon. Stay tuned!

I’m just kidding by the way, mom doesn’t hate it. So she says. You never know with her. She's tricky like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I KNEW YOU WOULD TELL EVERYONE I HATED IT. I DO NOT HATE IT, IT IS YOUR HOUSE, AND IF YOU GET THAT ONE, YOU WILL MAKE IT BEAUTIFUL. LOVE, MOM