Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thanksgiving, the uncool holiday

A recent discussion in my brain. “It’s mid-November.” “No it’s not. Is it? Are you sure?” “Yep, that’s what the calendar says.” “Then why am I surrounded by Christmess rather than the oh so pilgrimy and turkey goodness that November calls for?”

The retail community needs to rein it in justalittlebit, as in, a lot. Each year they pull out the tinsel and trash a few days earlier, and then they complain at the end of the season that sales were poor. Really? You feel you have the right to complain? Do you think it has something to do with the fact that extending the Christmas sales season by a month only stretches dollars more?


Just because you decide that earlier displays will inspire purchasing doesn’t mean that I’m going to give in to your marketing shenanigans. I’m on to you. Silly marketers. Thinking that I will trade in my cornucopia for cinnamon scented pinecones before it’s time…

Quit messing with my fall. I love fall. And Thanksgiving is Fall in so many ways. I want to have time to be thankful for my life, and family and all that warm fuzzy stuff that I've been lucky to have granted to me. I like to ease into the holiday madness, not slam into it because of a wrong turn around the turkey.

If you can feel bad about a holiday, I feel for Thanksgiving. It's getting the shaft. It's like the holiday that got picked last for dodgeball. And those cool kids up in marketing are not making it easier. We'll have to send in reinforcements.



Back off the turkey you wascally merchandisers.

No comments: