Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Bumble Wonder

Colin's universe is rapidly expanding.

Our nearly-two year old bumble is figuring out "stuff" at an amazing rate! I'm all kinds of proud that the boy is pretty bright and is curious about his world, but I admit, there are times when I wish he wasn't so capable of figuring out "stuff."

Examples? Why sure.

We have a water/ice dispenser in the door of our fridge. For a while, Colin was content with being able to switch the light on and off, and I was thinking, score, that's all he thinks it does! Then he watched me (very intently I might add, he has scary eagle eyes) fill up his cup and a little light bulb went on. Next thing I knew, he was pushing his sippy cup onto the water activator. Very cool. Not so cool was that the lid was on and water gushed all over the floor. Then he grabbed one of our cups and managed to get some water into it. Cool again. Not so cool when he dumped the water onto his head because he doesn't really get the concept that cups spill if you turn them upside down.

Also in the not-safe zone is the microwave. I estimate about three months and he'll be tall and strong enough to open the micro door. He can already hit the stop and cook buttons, which has resulted in some interupted cooking and empty microwaving which I'm sure will impload the thing.

Colin also knows that lotion goes on your body. He likes this idea so much that he takes any chance he can to grab any lotion and squeeze it onto his legs (arms, clothing, carpet, whatever's handy) rub it and say "niiiice."

A little variable on this is that he likes to finger paint with his diaper cream. Preferably on my legs and arms. Luckily it's the creamy desitin with the lovely scent (god, I'm such a mom - I like the scent of diaper cream!).

The boy also knows how to open nearly every door lock we have and likes to wander outside. It's very cute that he learned pretty quick to close the door behind him. But that makes finding the MIA Bop a little harder, since we don't always witness the escape! So far the front door lock is beyond him, but it's coming soon I'm sure.

It's amazing how self-sufficient he is becoming, in ways that make our lives (and damage to our backs) a little easier. He can climb into his high chair on his own, likes to wipe his own hands and face, manages a fork and spoon pretty neatly, and can pretty much get into the car with only a little boost. He snaps his car seat and stroller harness himself and of course, rubs the lotion into his belly. Not much interest in the potty, but he thinks it's fun to sit on it.

Next thing we know, he's going to be taking apart our clocks and phone and saying, "niiiice..."

No comments: