I'm getting ready to fly the coop for a few days. Heading to Rhode Island for a work conference. Normally, I'm all kinds of ready to travel. But this trip isn't really one that I'm looking forward to. Oh, I know I will love being able to race through the airport solo, take taxis, stay in a nice hotel, have my meals brought to me...but I will also be thrown into a group of 30 people that I don't know, and the thought makes me cringe.
I'm not the most graceful of wallflowers. I feel big and tall and loomy. I get too shy to introduce myself, and in my head I feel like people already know each other and resent my timid efforts on joining their conversation. I have no idea where this shyness comes from (or why in the world I chose the very social Public Relations career path). My family as a rule are gregarious and outgoing. I'm that person at the party that hides at the food table until I can kick back a few glasses of liquid courage. I'm able to hold my own once I know the landscape but those first steps...*shudder*
At this point in time, Colin is just about the exact opposite of me and Rob in terms of approaching new people. The kid will walk up to complete strangers and give them hugs, making their day in the process and making me say "ehhhh!" A little stranger danger would not come amiss at times.
I do think, though, that having a kid is like an instant talking point in new social situations. I was able to connect with my most awesome playgroup when Rob pretty much pushed me out the door to join the new mom's group the our hospital sponsored. And at work and social functions, like the one I will soon be engulfed in, it's a fallback point when the conversation lags.
Another reason for not wanting to go is that Rob, Colin and I have had a lot of fun this last week. Cheerful, lovey, lots of laughing and giving of hugs. I'll miss my boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment