Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Flight of the Bumblekinder


We just returned from a long weekend at the compound (read: parent's house) and had a proverbial blasty blast. Colin and I traveled down on Thursday morning and Rob joined us on Friday evening. I know that we should take every advantage to fly Colin as a "lap child" since it is free until he turns two. But, I just don't think it's worth it. When the boy is strapped into his car seat, he knows we're not going to let him out. That logic doesn't apply to him sitting on my lap for an hour and a half. We came armed this time with our portable DVD player, and that did the trick for most of the flight. Frantically pulling out snack after snack worked for the remainder.

Once at the 'rents, things went pretty smoothly the rest of the trip. Colin and gaum-gaum (read: grandma) continued to bond fantastically. The one hiccup was bedtime. I'm the first to admit that I'm not terribly flexible with Colin's slumber time. The kid likes to sleep for 12 hours - why would I mess with that? Normally, not an issue as we plan our days and evenings accordingly. But with plenty of family activities to attend, and siblings who don't share my schedule fetish, I had to oil the hinges and bend a bit. Even with cutting a few evenings short Colin didn't hit the sack before 9 on any given night. He was none the worse for wear - a bit more crabby than normal, but kept his usual good nature intact.

The whole point of this trip was to play in the pool! And we got plenty of pool time. Colin even went down the slide with Daddy several times and loved it. We outfitted him in a floaty vest and a floaty tube and he cruised around like a natural. On the first day, he would patiently let me count, one...two...three! And he would jump in. On the second day, he would barely wait for one... and in he splashed! I'm happy that he is already so comfortable in the pool.

Rob enjoyed the pool too, turning into a big kid on the diving rock and slide. We did forget to sunscreen his back and it's a sore sight to behold. I've never seen a back get so peely, so fast. Surprisingly, I escaped with a bit of a red nose and got some tannish color on arms and legs.

A good trip all around!

No comments: