Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A little change in plans

I have been meaning to post this for a while, but my life has become one big game of Whack-A-Mole - I'm only getting to the things that pop up and block my path. So here is the latest:


After my big dilemma on which opportunity to pursue, I decided to take the traditional job at a local non-profit. Days later, I received a call that there had been a major change in the company's leadership, also known as, the guy that hired you and who would be your boss is now gone.


Wow. You know how they say things happen for a reason? I was getting a pretty massive indication from the Powers That Be that I should rethink my decision, be honest about my fears (are they really fears, or are you feeling like you're supposed be reacting that way). I found out that the state contract was still open, so I reapplied and hoped that I would find out their decision before I had to start the other job. Let's just say it didn't. And let's just say that I had the most awkward two weeks of my life not knowing if I was going to be staying or leaving in short order. I did get the contract and I did have to give my notice. And let's just say it didn't go so well.


I will be the first to admit that this scenario isn't something I ever wanted to do or ever want to do again. I felt like a jackass, but I also think it helped me affirm my decision. And I need to be honest that I could have avoided the whole thing by going with my gut in the first place. Butnevermindthat.


I have been working on my contract gig for over a month and it has been great. There are days that I look up after eight hours and know that I've achieved a lot, and that I was happy doing it! I'm working at home, so I don't have a commute. I do have to give myself a work routine or else I'm wondering around the house in an ADD daze (I don't have ADD, but sometimes I think I have ADD because I'm a flitterer) getting nothing done.


The new cash flow is going to take some getting used to - I do miss knowing when my paycheck was coming. I get a little lonely, but I've been making sure to have meetings and coffee dates to break up the week. And the best thing is that I'm not (as) crabby at the end of the day when my boys get home! I'm sleeping well again, and I have two employees to keep me company. They are a little lazy though. More on them next.


No comments: