Sunday, October 26, 2008

Three

Dear Colin,

My big, fills my heart three-year-old boy. Somehow three seems so much older than two. My memories of our first days together are already hazy in the mists, but when I look at pictures of you, small and snuggled into our arms, I get all melty for the days when keeping your tummy filled was our biggest challenge (Daddy says I have selective memory). And then I see you as you are today, running (rarely walking) into the room on your long sturdy legs to tell me all about your latest discovery, and I am thankful that the reality of you is living up to the promise we felt when we discovered you were on the way.

Even six months ago you didn’t really do a lot of talking unless we started the conversation. You are now a chatterbox! You amaze us with the things that are coming out of your mouth. You remember things from months ago, and you somehow weave in events spread over days into one story. You’re a bit of a tall-teller too, sometimes ratting yourself out on things you didn’t even do. I love your unique pronunciation of words, and we aren’t doing much to correct you – knowing that you’ll figure out on your own that mahtayto is really tomato, and effalant becomes elephant.

Whenever we are out and about, you greet whomever crosses your path. Most of the time you get a reply and you are so proud that “He/She say hi to me!” And if you don’t get a response, you get a little upset that they "not hear me?" You make friends easily and I think you will be a popular little guy (especially with the girls) once you are in school.

You have a very expressive face, and you use it to full advantage when you are telling a story or when you are trying to get something out of daddy or me. Your sly grin and faux sad pout are favorites of mine. It’s still strange for us to discover our own expressions on your face. Daddy says you have my “glowery brows” and I think you have his big smile.

I’ll let you in on a secret. I love to take tests. It’s part of my nerdy genes that you may or may not have acquired. But boy howdy, Colin. You do test me to distraction. From the beginning you have decided that if there is a limit, you will try to cross it. And if there isn’t a limit, you will create one. You like to be a “rascal boy” and you know when you are pushing buttons on purpose. We know you are exploring your world this way, and we try to give you enough room to make discoveries without hurting yourself too badly or making ourselves nuts.

You have a great fondness for band-aids, and will try to weasel one out of us at any boo boo opportunity. We have discovered that you like to answer our cell phones, but not give the phone to us. You love your grandparents (and their dogs!) like crazy, and we are glad we can see them as often as we do considering the distance between us and them. You are a little bit vain - looking at pictures of yourself is always a top priority. "I a dapper man."

Daddy is your go-to guy when it comes to getting treats, and mommy is your main gal for hugs and kisses. I love that you are my big kitchen helper, and daddy’s garage monkey. Trains are the thing for you, and animals of all shapes and sizes.

You are a rough and tumble boy, and fairly fearless. Daddy says you are practicing early for football with the way you run at us with your head down – ready to tackle.

You are also a snuggly, huggy boy. You rarely turn down the invitation for a hug and you love to have us sit with you so you can direct us to “put you blankie on.”
You give the best hugs on earth.

You have a courageous, open heart and soul, and your daddy and I hope that we are helping you keep those traits as every day you take another new leap into the world.

Happy Birthday our little bumble boy!


Love Mommy and Daddy

1 comment:

Shelley & Jason said...

Happy birthday Colin! Hope you had a fun-filled day!!!