We had a neighborhood BBQ yesterday. We were happy to go and finally meet some of the folks in our neighborhood even though it was 100+ outside, a rare occurance for the Portland area. Colin stole the show as usual, giving out hugs and playing football with the big kids.
The only stain on the day was when Colin decided to take some chugs out of a guys glass. Being oh, you know, a parent - I tried to stop Colin. The guy said, "it's okay." Um yeah buddy, but in your glass is something that looks suspiciously like Sailing Punch as in - You'll be sailing after drinking a glass of this highly gin soaked cocktail. I pulled Colin away and when I tried to ask the guy what was in the cup he either didn't hear me or he ignored me.
When I saw Colin sneak up to start chugging off the glass again, I went up and pulled him away saying "I said no more." The guy turned on me and in a rather rude tone said, "I SAID it was okay." Hay-ell no you didn't just say that to me. So I said, "Do you know what's in your glass?" He said no, that his daughter (about 6) had poured it and didn't like it. And then he turned his back on me. Agghh!! Another neighbor saw what was going on and suggested that the guy take a sip to confirm the contents. "Oh, heh heh. Guess that's not for kids after all."
What an ass. ASSSS. FIrst off for not bothering to keep an eye on his own kid as she poured out a hefty cocktail for herself. Second of all, for trying to call me out on stopping Colin from drinking his drink. And third, for not apologizing to me for letting my kid get his hands on alcohol!!! That's for Rob and I to screw up on, not some random dude.
Gah. People. This is why we tend to avoid bringing Colin to non-family gatherings. We either look like hover-parents, or we're the assholes letting our kid run amok all over the place, sippin on gin and juice.
1 comment:
I hear that! I'm a "hover parent" as well...
Post a Comment