Friday, June 06, 2008

The thing about bees

I'm sitting here watching a parenting dillema unfold.

Colin is fascinated by bees. The real ones.

At my parents' house this weekend, Colin was often found crouched next to any plant that happened to have busy, buzzing bees around it. Every so often his little paw would reach out to try to grab one of them.

We kept saying, "Careful!" and "Don't touch the bees! They bite." And he'd say okay. Only to reach out a second later for the next flyby.

We have two gorgeous spanish lavendar bushes in our backyard that are in full bloom right now. Which means they are full of bees too. Choosing not to heed my often repeated advice to LEAVE THEM ALONE, Colin is taking advantage of a break in our crappy lovely rainy June weather and is determined to grab one of the suckers, and I know that he's going to have to find out the hard way that bees do bite.

Now I just need to decide whether to try to be nearby when it does finally happen or hide so I can't see the drama unfold.

No comments: