The mucky, murky, dank atmosphere at my office seems to be sucking out all my creative mojo. Which is horrible. Because I’ve let it happen. I’ve never been one to have a great shield against external forces. When I’m in a happy environment, I’m happy. When I’m in a sad environment, I well up. When I’m in a shitty environment, I can’t get past the poo smell. And man does it smell like poo around here. But there’s a good chance that the universe is about to light a match and clear the air. (wow, poo analogy, times really are tough)
I’m in the final selection process for a job that would be (oh my would it be) so perfectly aligned to my elemental jones for the written word that I’m ready to ditch my four-day work week and five minute commute for the chance to take it on. It’s for the Multnomah County Library. As Marketing Director. For the library. Did I mention it’s for the library? That place with all the books? One of the best in the country no less (no, really – ranks number two only after Queens, NY for circulation), for a metro region that passionately loves its library system.
The last several jobs I’ve interviewed for have needed a fair amount of internal bargaining to convince myself that it’s the “right one.”
Nike: Well, no, I don’t want to work 70 hours a week for a company that has a locker room mentality, but I could really see myself doing a great! job there.
TVFR (fire department): Well, no, I don’t think that being on call 24/7 and being in potentially dangerous situations would be ideal, but I could really see myself doing a great! job there.
FBI: Well, true, I’d be part of a Big Brother organization and potentially put myself and my family at risk if I piss off some nefarious element, but I could really see myself doing a great! job there.
But for the library job, from the moment I saw the job description, I haven’t had to do any of that shifty self-deception. It FEELS right. In every step of the interviewing process (two months and counting, if you were wondering) it has been natural to step into the situations presented to me. It will be a challenge, but one that I realize I’ve been preparing for in this current role. It will stretch my capacity, but boredom is one of my worst enemies. I like the people I’ve met, they love what they do. I would have a team to support and who would provide support for me, being a team of one has some distinct disadvantages. I would have a commute, but not too bad, and I’d get to be downtown (love the burbs, but it’s not the most exciting environment). I would be able to channel my passion for reading into telling the library’s story and increasing the public’s knowledge and support of the library’s services.
They don’t expect to have a decision for several more weeks. As far as I can gather, I'm one of five or less contenders. It’s hard not to speculate on what’s taking so long – Rob and my best guess is budget. So in the waiting, if you can spare a quick thought, prayer, vibe or mechanism of mojo of your choosing, I’d appreciate it. Just picture me, working for the library, enjoying my work, and supporting my community. Doesn’t it make you smile? I sure am.
2 comments:
I am picturing you working at the library. You are smiling and laughing and swinging your beautiful autumnal hair around. Life is blissful for you. Next time I am in Portland, we will celebrate! Love, Nora
Fingers and toes are crossed for you. I could not imagine ANYONE more suited for the job.
Post a Comment