Sunday, July 06, 2008

Progress


The green prozak garden is coming along nicely. From L to R we have fennel, onions/leeks, celery, carrots (purple and normal), beets and in the background you see tomatoes, peas (good lord, lots of peas), cilantro and lettuce. In the beautiful raised bed (thanks Rob!) peeking out in the back are pumpkins, sunflowers and basil. The cukes and zukes didn't make it through our abnormally late spring snow (gee, wonder why) and I've been too out of town to replant them. Maybe if I find time.

I think I "weeded" out most of my beets by mistake (hey, it could happen to you - do YOU know what a sproutling beet looks like? No really. Do you know? Because I'd like to avoid a repeat beet massacre) because I currently only about three beet plants. I replanted some seeds today to see if anything will happen.

Rob's cousin came over for dinner tonight and I was just a wee bit proud to serve homegrown salad, and a yummy sauteed pea and young fennel dish as a side.


I have had limited success having Colin "help" me in the garden. The last time I tried, he helped me by uprooting a basil plant that was having enough troubles of its own holding on in our lame Northwest summer sun-ish. Considering I most likely butchered my own crop of beets, I couldn't hold it against the little fella. I did a quick transplant and I think it's going to make it. Maybe. We'll see.

No comments: