
That's right folks, our wonderful bouncing bumble boy came into the world a year ago today. When Colin is 30 he'll be getting a call from his crotchity mother at 3:40 pm and hear, "After twenty hours of labor..." This sweet little guy has sure come a long way. And so have Rob and I! I think we were in shell shock for the first few months, and I know that learning to trust the mom instinct in me was probably one of the biggest personal challenges I’ve had to meet. But I think I finally can truly understand the word Joy when I see his whole face light up with a smile as he comes chugging towards me. And watching Rob and Colin wrassle on the floor or nap together on the couch is precious personified.
Lucky for us, Colin has been a great baby. In hindsight, we had a good ‘un for a newborn. Well, we’ve actually had it pretty good the whole time, but when you’re in the midst of it, it’s hard to have perspective. Remind me that I said this in 15 years.
Colin is turning into a walking pro, well, maybe novice class for now, and pro in the next month or so. The past week he has preferred to make the rounds holding onto his Mardi Gras beads and voodoo chicken, "shake-a shake-a shake-a, ooga booga." I don't know - somehow he knows they go together. He is showing more interest in trucks and things that have wheels, and he likes to slide things across the floor with a vrum vrum sound. No words yet, but he’s certainly not shy about being vocal. It’s kind of like a pterodactyl slash monkey slash lovebug language all his own. While I would love to hear mama or dada (yes, in that order - at least I admit it) I know that he will pull up a chair to chat when it’s time. He’s no small bundle, I think he swallows bricks overnight. I don’t have exact stats, but I know that the floor around him shakes a bit when he falls on his bum, and we can now lift small autos over our heads with these extra arm muscles from carrying him around.
He still likes to dive-bomb the cat, who takes it with a little less patience these days. They are still chummy, but we notice a bit more wariness in Soss’ eyes as Colin comes closer. Soss is having a hard time predicting if he’s going to get screeched at, banged on or have paws grabbed. We’re having a hard time predicting that too! We’ve been lured into many a smoochie only to have a skull jarring impact with the nugget at the last minute.
Life is good at the Wieking house. We’re busy as usual with the omnipresent house projects, but we’re almost there. The main bath is now overhauled and new windows and doors are the flavor of the month. I think this will finally lift our house out of groovy seventies mode. We’re looking forward to a non-project winter. Having our daycare next door has proved to be a stroke of luck that we can’t appreciate more. We still meet with our playgroup every week, which again is a lucky star addition to my life.
The new job does not seem as "in a foreign country and not knowing the language" anymore, and I feel my feet are back underneath me. It’s still a learning curve, but I’m enjoying the challenge and the people in this industry and in my office are great. I send a mass apology to those I've been not stellar on the keeping in touch mode. It's really been a whirlwind second half of the year and I'm looking forward to November when some big work projects will shift off my desk.
Hugs to one and all. I hope to see you over the holidays or catch up online for my friends who are all o'er the land.
Laura
Lucky for us, Colin has been a great baby. In hindsight, we had a good ‘un for a newborn. Well, we’ve actually had it pretty good the whole time, but when you’re in the midst of it, it’s hard to have perspective. Remind me that I said this in 15 years.
Colin is turning into a walking pro, well, maybe novice class for now, and pro in the next month or so. The past week he has preferred to make the rounds holding onto his Mardi Gras beads and voodoo chicken, "shake-a shake-a shake-a, ooga booga." I don't know - somehow he knows they go together. He is showing more interest in trucks and things that have wheels, and he likes to slide things across the floor with a vrum vrum sound. No words yet, but he’s certainly not shy about being vocal. It’s kind of like a pterodactyl slash monkey slash lovebug language all his own. While I would love to hear mama or dada (yes, in that order - at least I admit it) I know that he will pull up a chair to chat when it’s time. He’s no small bundle, I think he swallows bricks overnight. I don’t have exact stats, but I know that the floor around him shakes a bit when he falls on his bum, and we can now lift small autos over our heads with these extra arm muscles from carrying him around.
He still likes to dive-bomb the cat, who takes it with a little less patience these days. They are still chummy, but we notice a bit more wariness in Soss’ eyes as Colin comes closer. Soss is having a hard time predicting if he’s going to get screeched at, banged on or have paws grabbed. We’re having a hard time predicting that too! We’ve been lured into many a smoochie only to have a skull jarring impact with the nugget at the last minute.
Life is good at the Wieking house. We’re busy as usual with the omnipresent house projects, but we’re almost there. The main bath is now overhauled and new windows and doors are the flavor of the month. I think this will finally lift our house out of groovy seventies mode. We’re looking forward to a non-project winter. Having our daycare next door has proved to be a stroke of luck that we can’t appreciate more. We still meet with our playgroup every week, which again is a lucky star addition to my life.
The new job does not seem as "in a foreign country and not knowing the language" anymore, and I feel my feet are back underneath me. It’s still a learning curve, but I’m enjoying the challenge and the people in this industry and in my office are great. I send a mass apology to those I've been not stellar on the keeping in touch mode. It's really been a whirlwind second half of the year and I'm looking forward to November when some big work projects will shift off my desk.
Hugs to one and all. I hope to see you over the holidays or catch up online for my friends who are all o'er the land.
Laura
No comments:
Post a Comment